Thursday, September 26, 2013

looking forward?

Ugh!  Tonight's homework from class is to write about things you look forward to.  I just don't know right now.  Which isn't to say there isn't laughter.  There totally is...I work with seven year old's and have three kids 7 and under.  Perhaps for some that might be frightening, and I will TOTALLY admit to the fact that sometimes having so many small humans in my life is beyond overwhelming!  But I love kids, so....

I have a friend that teaches high school and he has at least a couple classes of repeat freshman.  I have had more disciplinary issues in second grade than he has.  My only explanation is that seven year old kids who are struggling have no filter.  So the behaviors my friend likely gets are way worse, and not as consistent.  Perhaps one of the ways that consistency sort of sucks...The good thing is that none of this has even come close to rattling my belief that kids are good, and choices vary from moment to moment.

So I come back to what I look forward to.  I think about my dog walk sunrises.  Those are amazing.
I am taking photos in the hopes that I remember the lovely on the days to come when there is rain and when it is snowy and cold and crappy.  (As well as for other reasons.  Sunsets have good memories for me.)

I look forward to the hugs from my students, especially those I don't expect.  Sometimes they sneak up on me.

I look forward to the odd and infrequent moments when my 7 year old lets me give him a kiss and we look at each other and compete with silly expressions and he makes me belly laugh.  (First time that happened was today, and I hope for more)

I look forward to the times when I have a moment to enjoy the crazy sweetness that exists inside the tiny armed hugs of my daughter- oh wow, those are amazing.

I look forward to writing things that make people happy, that others hear and get (in some way).

I look forward to singing

I look forward to reading good books.  But I really really wish Patrick Rothfuss wold write more!  I want his next novel like I want a drug.  I am, however, reading Vonnegut's Slapstick, which is something of an autobiography, so I look forward to that.


Trying hard to find more...the other part of the homework was a summary statement.  I don't know what to do with that.  So I will think on it and get back to you.

This site lets me see where in the world people are checking out my entries.  I have readers in Serbia and China, Brazil (Mal?), and England...I need some Aussie readers...and I would love to hear from you guys.  I sit on my falling apart sofa, drinking too much wine, or lovely Yogi tea, and I am alone...I have a fantastic community, but there are only a few subscribers here.  If I write something that touches you, helps you, connects us in some strange moment, let me know.  It would be very comforting to know that the void that my words and heart go out to can say "hi" back....

Just a thought.  Perhaps that would be something I could look forward to as well....?



No comments:

Post a Comment