Friday, September 5, 2014

what it all is: powerless

where are you?  where am I?
When I open my eyes
the skies
remain black
an incandescent crescent of
https://theiddm.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/grief.jpg
something missing
burns my broken retinas

something deep inside me
rumbles with what seems like
emptiness
and emptiness no food
will calm

testing facial muscles
to see if they work
since my lips
remain dormant
linear

too often saying "I don't know"
and meaning
love
pain
weakness
longing
hope
dreams
all of it...so foreign
to every step in my dance

it's a tango
with no hand to hold me
as I dip deeply
landing on my head

a novel unwritten
save for the ending
while the author begs
for a plot to apply
more characters
some relevant action
anything
to flesh out the all too often
empty moments

ethics without an application
theology without god
love stories without heroes
hands unheld and fingers untwined
pillows too fluffed beside me
and too many leftovers

it is the correct application
of
"it is what it is"
which just happens to be
a phrase
that makes my skin crawl.


1 comment:

  1. enjoyed this post too!! I have never heard anyone but myself who dislikes the phase "it is what is " My husband used it and when he did it was appropriate but others use it to shut down a discussion. Someone from my husband's work spoke at his memorial and said Gregg had a wonderful attitude on how to attack problems and you could count on his ..".it is what it is." He evidently said this regarding his cancer to fellow employees when they would ask.

    ReplyDelete