Sunday, June 3, 2012

straws on a camel


Why am I so upset?  I feel lost.
 Do I feel targeted or attacked?  I don’t know, because I attack myself so often and thoroughly that telling the difference between an outward and an inward attack has become nearly impossible. 
Here is what I know:
  •  Getting pulled out of the classroom was heartbreaking and terrible for me.  I felt like I was being punished for choosing to support my husband as he fought a life threatening disease.
  •  Being told I would get to say “good-bye” to my class helped ease the hurt a little
  •  When I was called in to “turn in my badge and keys and collect my personal belongings”, it felt like being punched in the gut, slapped in the face, knocked on my back.  Not only was I NOT allowed to say good-bye, but it felt, once again like being punished for wrong-doing
  •  My one teammate's response to a request for a recommendation also felt like an indictment, a semi-formal accusation that I was in error, irresponsible, and consequently, a bad teacher.  Maybe even a bad person.
  •  The refusal of my other teammates to write recommendations even couched in loving statements, also left me feeling abandoned, betrayed, and alone.  That added to my sense of having done something wrong and of being a bad teacher/person.
·         The rejections of all three places I interviewed for, after feeling like I did quite well for at least 2 of the 3, reinforces my feelings of inadequacy in the teaching realm. Unfortunately, the view I have of myself is tied tightly to my view of myself as a teacher. 

There are things I believe about my abilities and drive as a teacher:
  •  I care about kids and they can tell that
  •  I am excellent at building relationships with my students
  •  I feel as if my job as a teacher is to find a way to get each student to believe in themselves, to (re)discover curiosity, and to learn to embrace mistakes as a roadmap rather than an accusation of inability
  •  I constantly work on ways to be more organized
  •  I enjoy using humor in the classroom
  •  Encouraging the growth of good character is key
  •  I dislike having to teach every single skill on the curriculum, focusing on quantity rather than quality
  •  I prefer to have the freedom to integrate all the subjects and look for or create lessons that allow for choice and address different learning styles
  •  I want to find a way to encourage the kids to strive for excellence without red penning everything.
  •  I want to honor and respect everyone’s family situation, while not changing the rules and expectations for the students
  •  I want to give my students a place where they feel safe, loved, inspired, and supported
  •  I DO NOT believe in “bad kids”- bad choices, most definitely, but each day we have the chance to make hundreds of new choices.  One of my many jobs as an educator is to help my students learn from their bad choices, and guide them to better ones
Yet I feel like I am not good enough.  I feel like everyone that interviewed me judges me and finds me lacking.  I feel like there must be a problem inside me.  I feel like I am flawed.  People tell me to treat myself as I would treat one of my struggling students, talk to myself as I would talk to one of the women at the Domestic Abuse shelter I used to volunteer for.  When I think about myself, it is so easy to see things in black and white:  I am either right or wrong, good or bad.  And since life is imperfect and complicated, and things rarely work out as you hope or plan, I place the blame on my own shoulders.
But now, I have the added burden, on top of all this, thinking that I need to be sure to find a way to find my strength, because if something should ever happen to John, I am all my children have. 

1 comment:

  1. Sabrina, I'm so sorry that your heart and soul ache so much. I wish I had words to fix this all for you guys. I wish I was wealthy to at least alleviate that part of this. I don't know you very well. And that saddens me that I don't know the family of one of my best friends. I wish I knew you better to know what to say to encourage you and give you hope. I don't want to be trite or offer platitudes that do nothing to help. Amy and I have been through some hard times. We haven't had to deal with medical issues on the level that you guys have but we have been dirt poor and jobless with no idea what the future would bring. We've also been through emotional hell trying to fix mistakes in our lives from both before we were married that lingered and some made while we were married. Few people's problems are identical but most can find common ground in the emotional pain, doubt and frustration that they've dealt with. When we've gone through rough times my prayers eventually get more simplified. And they usually end up something to the effect of "God, either fix the problem or fix my attitude because something's got to change". It sounds like your biggest struggle with this is with who you are. All of this has caused you to second guess and doubt that. What you know about yourself; things that you can list and hold onto (your love for John and your family, your teaching abilities, your core philosophies about how best to connect and teach kids and your passion for your profession; I'd love to have you teach my kids from what you say about your teaching style BTW :-)) is helpful in combating all the negative voices in your head but they sometimes aren't enough. You doubt yourself down to your core. We all do that sometimes. At our core we want to know that we are valuable, to someone - to anyone. When we are rejected then the voices get their foothold to start screaming in our head that we are truly worthless and that steals our hope and our joy. Sabrina, I know we don't share the same view of God but I want you to at least get a glimpse of what I see. I believe in a very real and active loving God. I beleive you were created by Him and that He knows you. I believe that the God of all things loves you more than you or anyone can comprehend. It's very easy for me to beleive these things about other people but I find I have a hard time sometimes believing it about myself. I have to remind myself in crappy times, when I don't think I'm worth anything, when the voices threaten to overwhelm me and claim my heart, that I am loved and that God is still actively working in my life and on me. The verse lately that helps remind me of that is this. 'For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Sabrina, I can't tell you why you guys are going through this completely shitty situation. But I know that you are loved for who you are in your core being and God finds you valuable and worthy. I know that God wants to give you a future that is better than this. I don't know what that will look like. I don't know the timeline. The thing that sucks most about trusting God is that He doesn't tell us ahead of time what His plan is. The best part about trusting in God is that he doesn't tell as ahead of time what His plan is. I've often looked back and marveled at how God worked to get us through the pain and struggle that we went through. I don't know that anything I've said here helps at all but my heart breaks for you and John and my intent is to try to help in any way I can. I pray every day for you both and not a day goes by without your situation in my mind. I wish I still lived there to be able to do more on a daily basis. Just know that you are valuable, loved and known. Same goes for John. Love you guys! Ben

    ReplyDelete